Thursday, August 23, 2007

update

Due to my lack of internet in my room I will have am going to take my fathers advice and type out my post a day before hand and then post it the next morning… so right now its august 22nd but I will be posting it on the 23rd, pretty intense huh!? Anyway there really isn’t much to post about that’s new in my life, I have been going to the office everyday now since last Friday (with the exception of Saturday and Sunday of course) and its been a really nice and pleasant experience. I walk around the office “interviewing” my co-workers so I can learn the ropes of the business and figure out how they will be involved in what I am doing. Until new developments occur at work that’s pretty much what I am going to say about it. Its really cool learning about the history of Habitat for Humanity and the origin is a really interesting and amazing story I will inform you all of once I learn it in complete detail.

Other than the office life I come back to my room and do basically nothing except read and meditate upon my thoughts. I’ll give you guys the demographics of my room in comparison to the office and Cairo in general. Cairo is like an urban city with an uptown and downtown my room is downtown and the office is uptown so I take a taxi which costs somewhere between 8-10 pounds (that’s like 2 dollars) My room is a dormitory room in the seminary of Cairo and its literally right next door to the police academy, which is huge! When I say next door I mean I look out my window and I can see the police academy downstairs doing whatever they are doing. Haha, something that makes me laugh is that right outside my window is the kennel or dog house or something where the police keep all (and I mean ALL) the police dogs. These dogs have a lot of energy because they do not ever stop barking, and we are talking somewhere between 30-45 dogs barking all at once all the time. To most this would be somewhat annoying and perhaps even irritating but then I laugh because I think specifically of Austin Shea and how he wouldn’t be able to last 20 minutes in my room. Its funny because we were roommates in college and this kid needed absolute silence and darkness to get sleep, while I on the other hand just ignore whatever surrounding are around me and go to bed. I can sleep with dogs barking and the lights on because if I want to sleep I sleep. One of my fondest memories was coming into the room after class and seeing up against our window was about 4 giant cheerio boxes stacked upon each other with coca cola case boxes intricately placed in order to block out ever ounce of light that might attempt to enter our room. The best part was Austin called it “the tower of darkness” and it was so ridiculous I had no choice but to laugh at it and him (sorry buddy). Anyway this tower of darkness was beside my desk, in fact my desk was used to prop up the tower so it wouldn’t fall. I still laugh when I think about how many times I knocked it over due to a bump of the arm or getting up from my chair too quickly creating a breeze or something and how Austin would then yell over it and him saying “how much effort he put into making it and I don’t ever consider the ramifications of my actions” and whatnot. But of course it was all in good humor because he knew that no one ever dares to speak at me with such a tone or I would crush them to the ground! …. Yeah ok I am rambling now. A post that was supposed to notify you guys on my living arrangements has turned into me talking a stroll down memory lane, and since I don’t feel like erasing all this and typing my first intended objective enjoy :D


this is Austin and me for those who dont know him...i cant believe we've known each other for like 17 years (TOO LONG IF YOU ASK ME, kidding)


I hope Joe got to read this

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man. Tower of darkness. Brings back the memories!

Austin Shea said...

you made it sound like i was actually mad when you knocked it over! may the record state that i was being ironical.

Anonymous said...

Haha, YES. Austin is a weak little man.

Shouldn't you go out and explore Cairo?

Also, check out the face that Bryan's giving your camelbak in that picture you posted.

Anonymous said...

Hey andrew

when u talk about crushing pple to the ground dont u mean that you cant even crush a bug...LOL.

Shery

Now for Jackie....
what up homes. how u doin?? you look so hot in those pics. i sooo miss you. come back like in 2.3 seconds

Jacqueline

Andrew in Egypt said...

ok let me respond to these...

dan - i'm loving the comment name that made me laugh out loud in the office

austin - of course you werent made at me, you could never be angry with me...but please refrain from ever using the word ironic in any form it can come in for to me ironic is no longer a word.

marc - austin is very physically weak, but i'm pretty sure he can beat you up...what does that say? haha just kidding buddy i have to explore more and i must say i like that bryan face

shery - i wont even comment on the hurtful things you say... :'(

"the lion" - i cant promise i'll be back in 2.3 seconds but i can say i'll be back roughly in 31,556,926 seconds...i got this number by multiplying 365(# of days in a year) with 86,400(# of seconds in a day)