Tuesday, August 7, 2007

is it too soon to post again?

Hello All,

It might be too soon to post again but i'm doing it anyway. Its about 3pm here and already much has happened. I woke up and went to my apartment to see what it will look like. I wasnt able to actually go inside but from what i was told it was very nice. Each room has their own bathroom and there is a kitchen and laundry on the ground floor. After "seeing" my room my friend Wahid took me to see the pyramids in Giza. Now before coming to Egypt i had always said that Alex Stein was the best driver i knew, but after driving with Wahid, Alex wouldnt last literally 20 seconds on Egyptian roads.
The driving rules are absolutely none. 2 lanes become 6 lanes constantly and yet you never are held up in traffic if you are good enough. Wahid just ducks and dives through cars. Something i noticed was that the honking system is completely different in egypt as it is in america. In america you honk when you are angry and want to let that person know you are angry (very stupid) however in egypt people are constantly honking just to inform the other drivers, "hey i am coming up behind you, thank you for moving out of the way" everyone is very friendly among the chaos. Also crossing the street is crazy, if you get hit by a car its your fault for getting hit, on the way i saw 6 people get hit and they just get back up apologize and finish crossing the street; its simply amazing.
When i arrived in Giza we went to the pyramids where when they found out i was american/egyptian dozens of people surrounded me to get a piece of me. This is not because they were happy an american was coming to see egypt but because americans have american money and are fools, however i was well informed and said all i have is 30 pounds. Most left except for Mohammed who visited new york and said he would take me. We rode around on a camel and saw many sights of the desert and the pyramids. I felt bad for the camel [who i named Kamal (ka-mal)] because he had so so so many flies all over him that i couldnt complain when the flies came on me. After the tour i was taken to a essence shop where they made pure essence from lotus flowers or roses and such. I didnt want to buy any but they gave me a bottle of water which i drank in about 15 seconds and they gave me a sample of lotus essence. I saw a few more sights while driving back to the house and now i am here. In about an hour i will be leaving for rizala which is where the beach is. here is a photo graph of me and kamal

I hope Joe got to read this.


15 comments:

Bryan said...

Bring Ka-mal back with you!

Unknown said...

MAN, I LOVE EGYPT. now you know i would probably get killed there the way i cross the street. you are having way to much fun... you can later but you blog together and publish it as a guide to egypt? bryan is right, bring the camal back.
keep on keeping us up to date. i want some drama too so if anyone gets hit or a rock falls of one of the pyramids, i want DETAILS. :D

Anonymous said...

Photoshopped!

Nimmy said...

The roads there sound like India's. A lotta noise and chaos. I forgot you were getting your own apartment. HOW COOL! The honking must hurt you deeply...considering how much you hate it here in America. LOL

Kamal Loza said...

Andrew,
Pleased to know that you made it to Egypt safely, and you are enjoying your stay over their. I wish you more fun in the coming days, weeks and months. I am sure that many people are praying for you, if you feel God is not listening to them, just let me know and I’ll pray for you. As you know, I am the only Saint in the family.

Don’t be very trusting! Egypt is full of crocks. The rule of thumb is: if you don’t know him don’t go with him anywhere and don’t believe any word he says. Keep reminding your self that the say “Better be safe than sorry was invented in Egypt.”

Please give Hala, Ramses, Carroll and Sam my regards and best wishes. Their generosity and kindness are over whelming and out of this world.

Uncle Kamal

Anonymous said...

thank you Andrew for including us!! We have been praying for you. Keep us posted!!
love,
Dottie

Unknown said...

Camel Back on a camel! Hopefully you will get a second chance.

Anonymous said...

Barely a day and you have already forgotten all about your old pal Stein. I really ought to take a trip out there...

Anonymous said...

Andrew I hate you for making me laugh out loud at work while reading your description of the wacky world of egyptian transportation.

Anonymous said...

i absolutely love the pic and i am kinda jealous that i am not there right now, i guess ill just have to visit a camel at the bronx zoo

Livster said...

andrew.
these are awesome and i am expecting a book after you have completed your year.

Anonymous said...

What is lotus essence. I swear I've played a video game with that item in it?

Anonymous said...

You look pretty hot on that Kamal

staticvariable said...

Sup Andrew, this is Lewis. Nice to hear you're having a blast in Egypt. Figured I drop a line before vanishing off the net for a while. I hope to read a lot more next time I'm here. Good stuff!

Anonymous said...

lol- hilarious! just think of frogger when you cross the street! I know- the honking is non-stop. Im surprised you havent mentioned the pollution. Anyhow.. im glad to hear your enjoying yourself- the people ARE good! I want to go back!
-looking forward to your next blog