This is a post that is really really great. It has nothing to do with Egypt and it has nothing to do with me. It has to do with a man by the name of Paul Potts. For those who might know him he won this British version of American Idol this year called "Britain's talent" or something along those lines. Anyway this guys story is actually pretty cool and very inspiring. I will provide you all with the wikipedia biography of him and you should all take the time to read it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Potts
also i want to provide you guys with the link to a youtube video of this audition or whatever it is to just see this guy in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
and another thing i want to add is a reflection and a small commentary by the man who made me aware of Paul Potts. This is Tom Griffin's response to the video. So i wont add my own commentary because i doubt i can express it as well as tom did. I do have opinions and if you want to know them you may ask me and i'll gladly tell them to you.....
ok i'll post more about my cruise trip i just came from. Also my family is here! my father is landing in a few minutes at the airport but i unfortunately am at work and wont see him :'( its alright though i have had a lot of fun so far and i will post some pictures up for all you to see. Ok have an excellent day everyone!
"This whole year came and went quickly, and I think right now, out of all things that have been said to me and spoken to me have all come together, and been solidified by the mortar of one single instance… Paul Potts. Until today I have never heard of this man, but while reading an article I read about his remarkable performance on a show called Britain’s got talent. He appeared on the show for the first time, and when he walked on stage he was only a cell phone salesman. He stood there before the judges, and the look on his face was absolute fear. Here it was this man stood before these three judges and thousands as jury waiting for his sentence.
The music started and then he opened his mouth, and what carried from it was a sound that shocked me. As I listened I saw people begin to rise and applaud and shout, and I knew why. Because they had heard what I had, not a voice that tickles your ear for a moment but a sound that haunts and fills and overwhelms the senses. Filling the heart until it feels you are about to burst and the only way to release this is in a responsive outpouring of emotion. I felt my eyes tear up and then realized something very great—it is alright.
So often I am carrying this burden this and judgment, making it my own personal weight and my own personal burden, to hate or despise certain things, and in a way hate people I deem as foolish or stupid. Well in this moment, I couldn’t anymore, my heart just burst. This man was not just singing, rather he was speaking and preaching and fulfilling what I believe was G-d’s will. In that moment, as soon as he opened wide the gates of his tongue something spilled forth, a wave of song, baptizing him and making him something new. No longer a cell phone salesman, he was now a new creation!
The whole circumstance made me think of something else as well. This show came about because of the success of American Idol, whether you think the show is good or bad. From this spin-off one man was able to enter and to achieve something great—his dream. It is amazing how so much happening has resulted in such a great victory for this person, and how much occurred at chance to allow him to achieve it.
First had to be the proposal of the show (and even before that reality TV had to become big). Then it had to have multiple successful seasons than it would have to catch on in Britain, and then he would have to get up the nerve to try out for the show, and then even get to the main judges to get in the show, and then he would have to not botch up during his first performance. There are so many other variables that I haven’t even bothered thinking about that all had to happen that would seem implausible in conceiving none the less impossible to occur! YET THEY DID! All these chance happenings occurred allowing this one man to experience an amazing gift! The rest of his life from that moment on would be different.
It reminded me of a few things… Nothing is purely evil; this may sound funny, and truth be told it is a bit of an exaggeration, but I have never cared for reality TV and have felt that it is a silly moneymaking greed influenced creation. Yet here it is allowing someone to experience a different life and allowing for them to have success. Hence I have to conclude that even though there may be something that may seem evil something great can come from it. That we are not in control; for in this show one man as I had aforementioned received a miraculous gift which had come to pass through none of his own machinations. Instead this came about through things that were not in his control and he simply leapt at the chance. Hence I see that there are so many variables that affect our lives that simply are not in our control. Finally I see that there is something beautiful that is constantly revealed through people and circumstances. A message about hope; that we should always believe that there is something greater in each moment, I think that perhaps hope is not something better in our lives that is evident, but rather as scripture says is something unseen, so I can only conclude it is a mindset, a conscious decision to see differently. One other thing I have gleaned is that this man came forward with his talents things he was given. He did not wait or stand back and try to let this chance fall in his lap, rather he acted upon it!
So if I take these lessons into conscious action then I should believe and act in these ways—to see that not all is understandable in the moment, and I have to have hope and see beyond a single moment which may seem good or bad, yet not let a moment pass where I can consciously do better for myself or for another. How do I know these things are accurate? For when I heard this story, I heard Potts sing I experienced this for myself. Hope revealed through one chance instance reading one chance story which so happened to make me see something different.
However, in the end, I am not in control but something greater than me certainly is. Whether it is chance, or some great divine formula, or perhaps I shall simply call it G-d for now, the same One who has allowed all things to work out for the good who love him, the same One who has through nature, circumstance, and song, revealed Itself to mankind."

1 comment:
Paul Potts voice made me cry too. It's just amazing.
Post a Comment